Subject: Not really a NetBSD Help type question......
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2002 22:31:50
Hi,

I've read this article from internet
(http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2846265,00.html)
and it's not just this one but most of the articles regarding BSD's seem to
address NetBSD as supporting many architectures and FreeBSD as the fastest,
the "best" for Intel or Intel compatible CPUs.  I've used FreeBSD 4.4 before
but didn't think it was that fast compared to NetBSD if at all.  In fact, I
had to swtch to NetBSD because FreeBSD couldn't correctly configure nor
recognize my kensington optical usb mouse (only ps/2 version  worked under
FreeBSD for my laptop)!  I honestly think NetBSD has better hardware support
for i386 architecture than FreeBSD does.  Now, my questions is, do these
people actually try out all three NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and write from
their experience that FreeBSD performs best on Intel or Intel compatible
processors or do they just run FreeBSD and assume it's fastest performer on
i386 architecture?  Do anyone know of actual performance tests that were done
and published onine?  I would like to see myself the official bench marks for
comparison.  You know, the real bench marks.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2002.