Subject: Re: What's up with sup?
To: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
From: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2002 11:17:52
> ... I haven't tried to run pkg_add on any of the new packages yet (sup
> just finished), but I have files in my /usr/supfiles directory, and they
> seem to be complete.

the point of pkgsrc is not for pkg_add but for building the packages from
source. e.g.
cd /usr/pkgsrc/games/xworm
make && make install
make clean

i've often found pre-compiled binary packages somewhat incompatible for one
reason or another so this convenient way of building from source (all relevant
NetBSD patches are applied for you at compile time) is a wonderful way of
adding packages.

something else that may be worth adding to a weekly cronjob might be a make
clean at the bottom of the pkgsrc tree. i've been caught out once or twice
having a dirty build tree.

e.g.
potomac# crontab -l
... stuff snipped...
00 1 * * 1 /usr/sbin/sup -s
00 1 * * 2 cd /usr/pkgsrc && make clean

monday morning at 1am sup is run. tues morning at 1am pkgsrc tree is cleaned.
for crontab table structure see crontab(5).

GREG