Subject: Recommend XML tools please...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/2002 16:28:08
Howdy,

I'm working on a database of Jack Vance's SF universe (aka 'Gaean Reach')
using MySQL and Perl/Tk. This so as to run the same scripts on both BSD and
Win32. (So far so good...)

Alas, the project is so enormous that for the same ammount of work as
entering data manually I could mark up whole novels in XML. (They are already
digitized in MSWord...by an army of volunteers.)

Anyone out there working in XML on NetBSD? Have you any cool XML tools to
recommend for NetBSD? (I run KDE, if that matters.)

All I found of promise seemed to be Apache/Cocoon -- which was fairly
overwhelming to this newbie. I'm not sure at all if it was what I'm looking
for or not.

Would be nice to start small: an editor (tag-colorizing, pray?), a validator,
maybe a parser. It would be so very fine if I did not have to boot to Win32
except for compatibility checks.

Thanks,

Gan

PS -- As always, once I how to for myself, I'll write a how-to for others. So
you won't have to answer this same query twice.

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html