Subject: '^M' in ascii files
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/09/2002 11:13:17
Maybe this isn't a NetBSD thing....

I've got a gzipped tarball of files, all ascii stuff - *.php
and *.html.

When I 'tar xvfz' the files onto my linux box I have no problems.

However, when I 'tar xvfz' them onto my NetBSD box, many of the
files have '^M' appended to the end of each line.  The PHP engine
doesn't seem to like this.

I thought it was a problem with the tarfile, but apparently it
isn't, since the carriage returns are not present in the files
on my linux box.

Is there some flag I need to pass tar to prevent this?

I know I can use strings, or some perl commands to clean these
files up, but it would be nicer to prevent it outright.

TIA.

--

Cheers!

Randy