Subject: Re: SCSI for Trust SCSI 19200 Scanner
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2002 18:22:01
On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:41:38PM +0000, Malcolm Candlish wrote:

> Could you please tell me if 'netbsd' would work a scanner 'Trust SCSI
> 19200' with a Domex SCSI device which on Windows works with a driver
> 'dmx3191d.o'

There's a little discussion about scanning with NetBSD at:
	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#scanning

The "sane-backends" package it refers to apparently does support your
scanner:
	http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

I find no mention of your Domex SCSI adapter anywhere.  Unless it
emulates something else, you'd need another adapter.

To see if the adpater is recognized, I recommend making a pair of
install floppies.  Boot with them and look at the output.  If you see
your adapter mentioned in the boot-up messages, you're in business.

> I have had a lot of difficulty with various Linux systems to get this
> working. The drivers are available for linux dmx3191d.o but understand
> it is easier in 'netbsd'. Will it work?

You won't fuss with driver loading in NetBSD.  It's either in the
kernel or not.  Very simple and, I'd say, easy.

> Further more, I have not found Linux boot always reliable and I know you
> use a different system; forget speed is yours safer?

Of course!  You did come here for an unbiased opinion, right? ;-)

Regards,

--jkl