Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2
To: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
From: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2002 11:05:54
tracy...

manuel has already given you some pointers but i thought i'd butt in and show
you how i do it too!

i sup the relevant source with the following sup config (note that this only
gets the relevant source for sparc so you would have to edit this for
whichever platform you are using) it has the advantage of not downloading the
entire source tree for every platform. note also that pkgsrc is not necessary
but i like to keep an up to date pkgsrc tree

/etc/supfiles/coll.list

#       $NetBSD: sup.uk.netbsd.org,v 1.4 1999/02/16 08:22:19 abs Exp $
#

current release=pkgsrc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

release-1-5 release=src host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

release-1-5 release=ksrc-common host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

release-1-5 release=ksrc-sparc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

release-1-5 release=ksrc-sparc64 host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

release-1-5 release=gnu host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix compress delete

the releases are src for userland, ksrc for kernel related and gnu - needed
for compiling userland.

a simple command (as root)
sup -s
(i run this in a crontab once a week)

then compile the kernel and follow the instructions in 'tracking current' for
building userland:

mkdir /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make obj
make build

as manuel says, you will end up with 1.5.3_ALPHA which is the 'stable' release
of 1.5 (not -current).

thought this might be of some use as i had some difficulty piecing the info
together for myself some time ago...

GREG