Subject: What's the best setting for NBUILDJOBS?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2002 10:22:28
Hi,

Thank God!  Netbsd final built from source without a single glitch.  I was
wondering if anyone knows of the best setting for NBUILDJOBS for faster buld.
Any one?

Here's my mk.conf setting.  I'm using NBUILDJOBS=1 since I had no hint to
what was the optimum # Netbsd can compile in parallel without degrading
building time.

-------------------
# Sung's mk.conf file

# ************************************************************************
# NOTE TO PEOPLE EDITING THIS FILE - USE LEADING SPACES, NOT LEADING TABS.
# ************************************************************************

COPTS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686
CXXFLAGS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686
CFLAGS+= -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686

BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src
BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
DESTDIR=/
RELEASEDIR=/home/netbsd/release
MKMAN=YES
MKOBJDIRS=YES
MKSHARE=YES
NBUILDJOBS=1

WRKOBJDIR=/usr/trash
DISTDIR?=/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles
PACKAGES?=/home/packages

ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES= fee-based-commercial-use no-commercial-use \
no-profit limited-redistribution shareware
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= adobe-acrobat-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= citrix_ica-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= csound-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= fee-based-commercial-use
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= kermit-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= limited-redistribution
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= maude-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= no-commercial-use
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= no-profit
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= opera-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= palmos-sdk-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= shareware
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= sun-jsdk20-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= jdk13-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= sun-swing-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= unarj-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= unrar-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= zoo-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= emiclock-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= nntpclnt-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= trn-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= cyrus-imapd-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= majordomo-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= mush-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= pine-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= mosaic-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= portsentry-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= srp_client-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= jdk-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= IDEA-licence
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= amiwm-license
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= astrolog-license

USA_RESIDENT=YES
USE_RSAREF2=NO

For some reason, I had to add USA_RESIDENT=YES for building to finish
successfully here!  Everything was built using this setting (even, KDE 2.2.2,
netbsd kernel, the whole netbsd distribution, all other programs I use); and
the -O3 option gcc seems to compile everything correctly on my Laptop with
Celeron 500Mhz processor.  Really, kdemedia player seems to play smoother
with above setting than with lesser optimized settings, say, -O2.  Has anyone
noticed the difference?  Your inputs will be appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Thursday, Feb. 07, 2002.