Subject: Re: Wireless adventures part 1 - failure - part 2 - failure
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2002 23:29:06
On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 08:04:15PM -0800, Andy R wrote:
> Well, I tried the firmware hack and the first one went
> well. I even used them for a while to make sure they
> worked OK. So when I tried it on the second one,
> something broke. I don't know which one, but one of
> them seems to be toast as far as the RF part. I can
> still ping the ethernet part, but they won't talk
> wireless anymore.

Andy,

I believe the technical term is ... "Ouchiwawa"?  Making toast of
wireless bridges is not my idea of a good end to a day.  :(

I've been following your adventures; thanks for the update (such as it
is).

I guess Yagis are a safer answer, if the card has a way to plug in an
external antenna.  My friend's 3Com wireless has an integrated
antenna, and I don't think there's any way to hook it up to anything
external, Pringles can or otherwise.  Also there's the question of
whether his 14 year old daughter would consider a homemade yagi
antenna a positive aesthetic contribution to her room....

--jkl