Subject: Curious about swap
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@mediaone.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2002 17:51:53
Hi All.

I hit swap for the first time ever last night on my 1386 box.  What I can't
understand is, I had not yet exhausted my physical ram.  In fact, I was only
using ~64 MB of ram out of 128 MB total. I have never seen this system use
more than 80 MB of its ram under any circumstance and again, I have never
seen it using any swap until last night.

There was a Netscape proccess at fault of course. It was not zombie, but it
was eating much ram and cpu. Killing it was easy, but 21 MB of swap remain
in use (doing what?) twelve hours later. If I had been running procfs, might
I have learned something?

I should mention I'm running a 1.5.3 ALPHA build.

--
Matthew Herzog                  Unix Administrator
mherzog@mediaone.net            Powered by NetBSD