Subject: RE: Any plans on upgrading linux-emulator to 7.0 version?
To: Matthias Buelow , netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: sucho2 <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2002 18:48:20
>===== Original Message From Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de> =====
>Thomas Michael Wanka writes:
>
>>On 1 Feb 2002 at 16:09, sucho2 wrote:
>>> I think some of problems with linux emulation is due to the fact that
>>> it's base is based on old 2.2 kernel (suse 6.x).  Is there a work
>>> going on to update linux base to 2.4 kernel (i.e., suse 7.x or redhat
>>> 7.x) like what freebsd camp did to their linux base (freebsd updated
>>> redhat 6.x to redhat 7.x base)?
>>
>>even if you were using SuSE Linux 7.x I would recommend to
>>stay with the 2.2.x kernels. I do not know how much several
>>problems with the 2.4.x kernels would actually affect the
>>emulation.
>
>what do you mean with "kernel"?  it's using the NetBSD kernel of course.
>maybe the original author meant "glibc, as intended by Suse/Redhat
>to work under the x.y.z kernel on the original system"?
>
>  --mkb

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Are there any plans on upgrading the linux
base to that of Suse/Redhat 7.x?  Some of the new programs designed to run on
Linux requires the library and internals of the 2.4x architecture but the
current linux-base on NetBSD pkg system is based on 2.2x linux kernel
architecture (libraries etc...).

Sung