Subject: Re: NetBSD install missing things?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2001 11:14:48
I don't think I ever looked at /etc/rc.conf.  I don't remember if I had 'less'
but think I had 'more', maybe 'grep'.

I have a lot of DOS stuff now, including a main download directory and a few
special download directories for other things like DJGPP and EZ2LOAD (GNAT Ada
for DOS).  I don't want to wipe out the DOS stuff including much user data.  If
I were to download NetBSD 1.5.2 ISO image, I'd need Linux to burn the CD, while
downloading the install sets could be done either from Linux or DR-DOS 7.03.
Is there a time limit on the FTP servers after which they kick the user off, if
the download takes too long?  100 MB ISO figures to take 400 minutes, or maybe
300 minutes if the NetBSD FTP servers are really faster than others like Simtel
and clio.rice.edu.

I actually downloaded the NetBSD 1.5.1 install set on the old computer,
including X, using DOS-based scripted FTP, and it took two sessions after the
first was interrupted.  I naturally removed already-downloaded files from the
script for the second session.  Then NetBSD wouldn't get through the boot
process on the old computer, while I was able to come to a shell prompt booting
an OpenBSD 2.9 installation diskette made from downloaded image; I didn't
download anything else, so I couldn't install, and I didn't have CDs then, and
OpenBSD wouldn't read the CD for lack of Trantor T130B SCSI support.

NetBSD 1.5.2 CD set was apparently the official 3 CD set, then there are 8
additional CDs with packages.  I think package binaries are for i386 only, but
the 3 CD set is for all NetBSD-supported architectures.

I ran 'set' and found, though four directories in PATH but don't remember the
order with certainty:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
I looked through all four of these directories.

As for weird CDs, this question arises more with the OpenBSD 2.9 CDs than the
NetBSD CDs.  OpenBSD CD booted, but I got "pckbc: Command timeout" after
responding to the opening menu.  I could try booting from the floppy disk
written from the downloaded installation diskette image, though even if this is
OK, it would only suggest and not prove the CD is bad.

Does the NetBSD boot loader see logical partitions?  I thought it recognized
only primary partitions, hence the preference for LILO.  I have Linux on logical
partitions: Debian and Slackware-to-be.

I will probably boot again from the NetBSD CD and use the already existing and
disklabeled partition, perhaps add entries for outside partitions so I can
access DOS and Linux partitions.