Subject: Re: Very slow disk.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/2001 22:09:35

http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/motherboards/VIA-Problems.html

http://www.tweakers.net/meuktracker/628

There are "issues" with VIA chipsets. We built a web server with the K266
(?) and saw problems with IDE and SCSI (Adaptec 29160). We wanted to use
PC-133 chips to get to one gig of memory or more. We pulled the AMD / VIA
and put in place a P4 with an intel chipset and saw all problems go away.

I saw there was a few VIA BIOS flash upgrades available for the AMD / VIA
and tried the newest (which helped) but did not solve all the slowness /
data corruption.

Your mileage may vary.

I do like AMD and wish they could tighten the screws on chipset companies
to avoid these types of problems. (They probably can't twist arms or fund
development the way Intel does).

Jeff Northon