Subject: spam attack
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/27/2001 02:22:59
Hello,

Over the course of the last few days, a spammer got ahold of my
sendmail box.  Fortunately, he wasn't very aggressive or persistent,
but he did sent a total of 900 messages to 840 of his closest friends.

I have all the sendmail logs: dates, times addresses.

I know, I know.  "Use postfix", "Keep your sendmail updated".  I know
an injudiciously configured sendmail 8.8 (stock installation with
1.4.2) was practically the definition of inviting trouble in the front
door.  I was getting around to it, really.

Now I'm running sendmail 8.11.6.  Relaying is turned off by default
and I get a bunch of other security improvements in the bargain.
Worthwhile, if not how I wanted to spend the second day of
Christmas.  I also took an intemperate moment to ask the primary
recipient what he was up to.

What I'd like to know is, Where to send my complaint?  Do ISPs
care about this sort of thing?  AOL and Telocity appear to be the main
networks involved.

Wanna see the logs?

Regards,

--jkl