Subject: Re: Erratic behaviour with cdrecord,mkhybrid
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/20/2001 10:24:20
Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi> wrote:
> On 06-Jou-01, Jan wrote:
>
> >> Well, I can't understand what's the problem here at all. I'm
> >> trying mkisofs... but I think mkhybrid is not to blame here.
> >
> > I encountered the exact same problem using mkisofs and cdrecord on a
> > Linux machine.  Maybe it's cdrecord?  In my case, as well, all files on
> > the CD were fine except for one directory, which did apparently contain
> > the correct directory-information (file names, sizes etc), but normal
> > files were not burned to the CD.
> >
> > Do you by any chance get a message like this:
> >
> > "attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 0b:01: rw=0, want=587162, limit=454040"
> >
> > when attempting to read the file?
>
> No, I got no error messages at all. This, too, feels odd.

Oh yeah - this error-message only occurs on Linux.  Under NetBSD, the
read simply fails.  Even though I have not been very successfull, I
thought I'd just share the information, if only for the sake of
archiving it:

In an attempt to retrieve the files from the CDROM (on which they
appeared to have been burned, but with false inode information, I
suspect), I downloaded "The Coroner's Toolkit" which can be found at
http://www.fish.com/forensics/

I then used "dd if=<cdrom> of=/some/bigass/file bs=1 env=noerror" to get
the data from the cd.  Now dd will encounter errors when attempting to
read the data from the disc, but ignoring the errors, it will eventually
finish (though it took quite some time and the resulting image is
_really_ big).  Finally, I used "lazarus" from the coroners toolkit to
walk over the file and retrieve data.

Desperate times require desperate means (or something).

If I did not really get this whole business right, forgive me.  Again, I
just thought it might prove useful for some poor soul in the future to
find this information in the archive.

-Jan

--
http://www.netmeister.org