Subject: Getting my MS serial mouse to work
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: north west <northwest_adr@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/19/2001 06:36:31
I have a MS serial mouse with my PC. I am having challenges getting it to
work. If I use Redhat or Slackware, etc., the mouse works properly. When I
first installed netBSD the mouse was located at "ttyS0" per the boot-setup
scan. "ttyS0" is also the port that was used on other distributions.

The problem is that if I configure /etc/XF86Config with "ttyS0" I get the
error message that "no file or device found", and the X server wont start. I
have tried "ttyS0, ttyS1" with the same results. Now, if i use "ttys0" or
"ttys1" the server will start and I get the mouse pointer. However, I don't
have any control of the mouse.

The /dev directory doesn't include an entry for "ttyS0", etc. I have tried
to use MAKEDEV to create the entry but am failing at this task. Can someone
provide me with a tip to help me in this situation?

Many thanks,

Andy Redman