Subject: Re: Getting my MS serial mouse to work
To: north west <northwest_adr@hotmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/18/2001 23:41:07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, north west wrote:

> I have a MS serial mouse with my PC. I am having challenges getting it to
> work. If I use Redhat or Slackware, etc., the mouse works properly. When I
> first installed netBSD the mouse was located at "ttyS0" per the boot-setup
> scan. "ttyS0" is also the port that was used on other distributions.

My serial mouse is:
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo

I believe the /dev/ttyS0 is a Linux thing; it is /dev/tty00. (I am
surprised if your NetBSD showed a ttyS0.)

man 4 com
man 4 tty

> The problem is that if I configure /etc/XF86Config with "ttyS0" I get the

This is what I have, maybe it can help you:

/etc/XF86Config for Pointer:
 Device "/dev/tty00"

> error message that "no file or device found", and the X server wont start. I
> have tried "ttyS0, ttyS1" with the same results. Now, if i use "ttys0" or
> "ttys1" the server will start and I get the mouse pointer. However, I don't
> have any control of the mouse.

ttys0 is different than ttyS0. Look at /etc/ttys and ttys(5) manual page.

Try /dev/tty00

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/