Subject: NetBSD Pkg system & OS 10/Darwin
To: Port-MacPPC (netbsd.org) <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: pw <woodpk@mindspring.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/18/2001 01:23:33
--Apple-Mail-4-288242394

Ok, step one is completed.  I have downloaded the entire pkgsrc tree
(without the source files).  I have also downloaded the files at the
following url (I was told these are the pkg_* tools [e.g. pkg_add]):
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install

The instructions on the NetBSD site direct me to download the pkgsrc
tree and to then either use the command 'pkg_add [package]' or to enter
the packages directory and use the command 'make'.  Since I do not have
the 'pkg_*' tools, I must resort to 'make'.  I have tried building some
packages, as well as the package tools from the ftp url listed above,
but these efforts have failed.  The errors I am receiving are as follows:

<localhost:woodpk>/% cd pkg_install/
<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install% ls
CVS/          Makefile.inc  add/          create/       info/
tkpkg
Makefile      README        admin/        delete/       lib/
<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install% make
Makefile:6: *** missing separator.  Stop.
<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install%

Now, someone suggested to me that the 'make' I am using and the make
that is distributed by NetBSD are different.  I  ran a search on the
NetBSD site for the different 'make' tools that are available and I did
find gnu's make.  My make information follows:

<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install% make -v
GNU Make version 3.79, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for powerpc-apple-darwin1.4
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
         Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.

<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install%

Do I need to find and build another 'make' utility, and can one system
have multiple 'make' utilities at one time?

So, back to the beginning of this post, I believe I have the first step
down as I have downloaded the pkgsrc tree, but I am a bit stuck trying
to figure out how to build either the packages or the pkg_* tools.  Can
you guys continue to help me out?  You've already been very helpful,
both in answering my questions and in giving me a lot of educational
material to read.

Thanks in advance,

patrick wood

[...]

<bold>Makefile:6: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Now, someone suggested to me that the 'make' I am using and the make
that is distributed by NetBSD are different.  I  ran a search on the
NetBSD site for the different 'make' tools that are available and I
did find gnu's make.  My make information follows:

make -v

GNU Make version 3.79, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

Built for powerpc-apple-darwin1.4

Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99

        Free Software Foundation, Inc.

PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <<bug-make@gnu.org>.

<<localhost:woodpk>/pkg_install%

</smaller></fontfamily>Do I need to find and build another 'make'
utility, and can one system have multiple 'make' utilities at one time?

So, back to the beginning of this post, I believe I have the first
step down as I have downloaded the pkgsrc tree, but I am a bit stuck
trying to figure out how to build either the packages or the pkg_*
tools.  Can you guys continue to help me out?  You've already been
very helpful, both in answering my questions and in giving me a lot of
educational material to read.

Thanks in advance,

patrick wood

</color>