Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com, Port-macppc@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/2001 20:51:53
--- Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> compilers, you can see that Apple has a *great* deal
> to lose in terms of
> the performance of their systems by using GCC.

What he said, and I'm sure that this has been argued
about more than enough times, but why the adoration of
GCC? I never understood this. It's nice for what it
is, but it's certainly not the be all, end all of
compilers and (hopefully), never will be.

IBM ships some "developer tools" for powerpc with GCC,
but you can be damn well certian that the products
developed internally for powerpc are NOT compiled with
GCC. I'm guessing that Apple follows the same kind of
method.

GCC seems to represent much of what is wrong with the
GPL.

Andy