Subject: Re: PostgreSQL & Perl DBI
To: None <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/2001 19:45:56
   > I couldn't puzzle this out from the PostgreSQL FAQ. Folks on this list had
   > definite opinions before, so...

   Oh, there's no shortage of definite opinions on the NetBSD lists. :-)

   > So...you folks that formerly wanted to steer me from MySQL toward
   > PostgreSQL, answer me this please. If I put a PostgreSQL server on a
   > one-and-only NetBSD box, can I access it from Perl DBI on Win32
   > boxes over the LAN?

   Perhaps:

       http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?odbc.html
       http://search.cpan.org/doc/JURL/DBD-ODBC-0.28/README

   The PostgreSQL mailing list archives might have some discussion of how
   well this works in practice:

       http://fts.postgresql.org

   Since I've not used ODBC to access PostgreSQL the recommendation is a
   definite maybe! ;-)

   Regards,

   Giles

I have tested PostgreSQL and Mysql with the unixODBC package on NetBSD.
This seemed to work ok.  Basic stuff seemed to work fine, although this
was hard to test well.

I was able to connect using Excel on a MS-WINDOWs 2000 and 95 to both
databases, using the ODBC drives available from the PostgreSQL and Mysql
groups.  Things seemed to work out fine, although you have to be careful
on the MS-WINDOWs side to make sure you have certain bugs delt with.

I have also used the DBI/DBD Perl package on a NetBSD system, speaking to
the PostgreSQL database.  This worked nicly.  I would expect that the
MS-WINDOWs version of the pakage would work out just as well.  DBI/DBD are
pretty cool.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]