Subject: Re: /etc/mk.conf problems
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/13/2001 17:11:02
> > (Hm...an aside to others: Every time that I think
> > about this, I feel that
> > pkgsrc _should_ be using stuff in the pkgsrc
> > directory, rather than
> > depending upon /etc/mk.conf (a system-wide file) to
 [...]
> Yeah, but I'm always deleting pkgsrc and hosing it
> around anyway. I would end up deleting this setup all
> the time. I kind of think it should be in /usr/pkg/etc
> though...

Good point...  Still, since make uses /etc/mk.conf, you could contnue to
stuff the variables in there if you wanted.  It just seems to me that an
/etc file is not really the best place for pkgsrc configuration.
(Especially since most packages get _their_ configuration/etc. isolated
into /usr/pkg/ by the pkgsrc system.)

Perhaps there is a good, technical reaso for using /etc/mk.conf as the
pkgsrc configuration.  If there is, I'm missing it.

> >   ``I probably don't know what I'm talking about.''
> > --rauch@math.rice.edu
>
> Neither do I and I pay for it quite often...

Heh.  Experience is the name that we give to our mistakes.  (^&  And,
since ``to err is human, but to really foul up requires a computer,'' we
can translate Hendrix's ``Are you experienced?'' to ``Have you used a
computer?''

(I'm not sure what that has to do with NetBSD, but some things just can't
be avoided.  Sorry.)