Subject: Re: keeping secure level after reboot
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller=2C_Markus?= <Markus.Mueller@itworks-gmbh.de>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/07/2001 13:36:05
On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:20:28AM +0100, "Müller, Markus" wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> here comes another one from a neophyte:
>

> I set the system secure level from -1 (default) to 1 with
>
> $ sysctl -w kern.securelevel=1
>
> After a reboot the value was set to the default again.
>
> Where can I tell my system to keep the value I set?
> I found a file named "securelevel" i /etc/rc.d but I don't quite know what
> to do with it...
> <:^/
>
> thanx in advance
> Marc

The script in securelevel checks if a variable named securelevel is set
in rc.conf and if it is, sets the securelevel to that level. if it isn't,
it sets it to 1, if I'm not fully mistaken :)

from /etc/defaults/rc.conf which is sourced by /etc/rc.conf :

# Security setting.  If $securelevel is non-empty, the system securelevel
# is set to this value early in the boot sequence.  Otherwise the default
# action is taken (see init(8)).
#
securelevel=""                                  # securelevel to set to

have a look at your rc.conf and defaults ?

Martin Weber