Subject: Erratic behaviour with cdrecord,mkhybrid
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2001 17:30:44
I do backups of my important files to a rewritable CD-ROM
using mkhybrid and cdrecord, on an 1.5.2/i386.

A little script creates the image first, pulling in some local
files and some files over NFS. I am seeing some very strange
erratic behaviour with this:

 1. I today ran the script, and it finished OK
 2. mounted the CD and checked the files on it
 3. at first it all seemed fine: many files were just fine
 4. but then again, the most important stuff (CVS repositry)
    was full of files, where correct sizes were reported,
    but opening the files showed that there was no data in
    them at all. but again, some files were OK there too.
    (depth of directory tree had no effect: some worked,
     some didn't)
 5. also, all files in my homedir (local) and dirs under it,
    for example, were empty.
 6. Note that there were no error reports about CD on the
    console (OTOH, testing CD on AmigaOS, read errors are
    immediately reported for such files).

I modified my script to not actually burn and then remove the
image, ran it again, and mounted the generated image via
vnd0. Mounted and tested: now all the files that didn't
previously work were fine. I didn't try all the files (a bit
too much files to test), but things did seem better. So
then I burned the image (to same CD) from the commandline.
Mounted and tested the CD, and it was OK this time.

While mkhybrid creates the image and is pulling stuff over
NFS, I can see on the server's console the message:

/netbsd: nfsd send error 55
last message repeated <many> times

But as I today ran the thing twice, the same error was visible
for both runs, so this shouldn't be the reason.

Another suspect could be the NFSv2 server on AmigaOS, which
seems pretty buggy. Still, works one time, not other. I still
see on the CD now (where the Mail dir is pulled from AmigaOS):

$ cd /cdrom/Mail/NetBSD
$ cd ../..
$ pwd
/cdrom/Mail/NetBSD
$ cd /cdrom
$ pwd
/cdrom

Well, I can't understand what's the problem here at all. I'm
trying mkisofs... but I think mkhybrid is not to blame here.

--
Arto Huusko (arto.huusko@utu.fi) | Diving Is Fun
Divecalc @ http://divecalc.cjb.net