Subject: Re: Dynamic configuration
To: beaker , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/2001 06:50:39
Was the suggestion of three differently-compiled kernels a serious one?
I don't think that it would give me any benefit; one kernel serves quite
nicely for each situation that my laptop finds itself in.

What I was talking about reconfiguring is the network interface and
routing.  At home, it resides in a private network.  In my office, it
connects to the Rice ``math'' network.  Elsewhere on campus, I believe
that I can jack it in and use DHCP to connect to one or more other
networks.  (That last hasn't come up, yet.  But, it may someday.)

Where would having 3 distinct kernels come in handy, here?