Subject: Re: Dynamic configuration...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/2001 04:08:04
> > I believe that the ideal would be to query the LAN to see which (if any)
> > machines are talking to it---and from that list, look for familiar IP
 [...]
> I guess one could write a tool that put the interface in promiscious mode
> and lisen for arp packets, and deduce the IP network number from that.

Hm.  I'd certainly have to read a more to write such a tool.

(Hm.  If I were to go this route, though, wouldn't tcpdump work?  I seem
to recall that it lists network traffic that hits the interface, even if
the traffic isn't desited for the particular machine.  I _can_ rely on
TCP/IP being used on all of the networks that are of present interest.)

> But I don't think such a tool already exists.
> And if there isn't much traffic on the network there could be long periods
> without arp packets.

(nod)  The machine may even be booted in isolation from any network.  A
passive wait probably won't work out too well for me.

> > configs with some of the more obscure ping options to poll for known
> > network hosts.
>
> Yes, such as ping for the default gateway. This seems the best option.

Okay.  At least I know that I've made a fair effort to find out if there
are better options.  (^&

Thanks for your help and input.