Subject: Re: Problem??
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2001 16:16:56
> > tl0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address (Insert IPv6 IP address here): 1
> > NS, 0 NA
> > tl0: DAD complete for (same IPv6 address as above) - duplicate found
> > tl0: manual intervention required
> >

> It may be a problem with ethernet multicast/boardcast. You'll have problem
> with IP multicast or IPv6 then.

Could depend on the way the ethernet controller (and more probably the PHY)
handle reflecting tx traffic back to the rx side.

Traditionally the transciever would generate the 'rx active' signal on the
AUI cable - but the chiptset would ignore any associated data (lack of
the signal generates a 'carrier loss' error on the transmit).

However I've seen one ethernet controller/PHY pair that would receive
it's own transmittions (provided the destination address matched) -
but only at 10M, at 100M it didn't!

Now the general requirment on an ethernet MAC driver is that it generate
rx events for broadcast/multicast traffic, this usually has to be done
within the driver code.  But I dunno if netbsd expects this!
(any driver that conforms to the DLPI - as per the X/Open doc has to
behave that way.)

As I said - dunno what netbsd expects though...

    David