Subject: Re: soft updates and asynchronous writes
To: Peter Mancuso <unishell@hotmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2001 17:03:55
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:23:45PM -0500, Peter Mancuso wrote:
> umm....errrrr
>
> Does NetBSD support soft updates and asynchronous writes?

I'm not sure what you mean with asynchronous writes.
With soft updates writes are asynchronous, by definition (unless sync
is requested by the program, of course)

> will I run into any problems using the following in
> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> vfs.vmiodirenable=1

This one doesn't exists in NetBSD

> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
> kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
> kern.ipc.maxsockets=16424

These don't exists either. Maybe there are kernel compile time options
that can do the same, I don't know exactly what these do under FreeBSD

> kern.maxfiles=65536

OK.

> # kern.maxfilesperproc=32738 Im assuming this one is out for sure!
> net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
> net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
> net.inet.udp.sendspace=65535

OK

> net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57334

This one isn't in NetBSD. What does this do ?

> net.local.stream.recvspace=65535
> net.local.stream.sendspace=65535

These aren't in NetBSD either. Is this for Unix domain socket ?

> What I'm getting at here is am I missing something by using netbsd
> on i386...... over freebsd?
>
> OS vs OS questions are rather retarded so I'll refrain from that.....
>
> but in a Sendmail/FTP/Apache/PHP/Perl/Python/MySQL/Samba environment with a
> rather heavy load am I missing any performance using netbsd over freebsd on
> i386?
>
> please be honest ;)

I don't know, I don't run FreeBSD on any server :)