Subject: Initial disk label
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dima Veselov <kab00m@lich.phys.spbu.ru>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2001 03:12:11
Hi there!

   I have a working Windows box. Often I need to boot it to NetBSD. I do
dosboot and boot it via net, using nfs as root. So disk doesn't has
NetBSD at all. But I need to work with Windows disks. NetBSD can't
properly detect partitions geometry, because it reads only main
partition table, and doesn't read extended partitions. When I worked
with 1.4.2 I updated disklabel manually each time. 1.5.2 doesn't want to
update in-core disk label (disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on
disk;), it wants me to install initial disklabel.

So the question is: If I'd install initial disklabel at windows-only
disk - my partitions wouldn't crash?

Or how I can update in-core disklabel only?

Thanks for answers..

Sincerelly yours, Kab00m