Subject: Re: Dual-booting NetBSD/i386 and Linux/i386 on single disk
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/26/2001 20:14:01
--- "B. James Phillippe" <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had some trouble finding information on how
> best to install both
> Linux-2.4 and NetBSD-1.5.2 on the same IDE drive for
> dual-boot (this is
> x86).  I have only installed NetBSD on Alpha
> hardware in the past, and
> RedHat Linux (which I will be installing) has
> switched from LILO to GRUB,
> which I am just learning.
>
> Some basic questions are:
>
> 1.) which should I install first?
> 2.) which loader should I use to do menu selection?
> 3.) can the loader boot either OS natively, or do I
> need a chainloader or
> other magic?
> 4.) any gotchas I should watch out for?
>
> If anyone can point me to a good FAQ or HOWTO (or
> provide information here
> on the list) I would be grateful.
>
> thanks,
> -bp
> --
> # bryanxms at ecst dot csuchico dot edu
> # Software Engineer

You may not believe this, but I think your problem is
as easy as:

1. Start with a clean disk.
2. Install Linux however you like, but don't let it
write to the MBR.
3. Install NetBSD, let it write a boot loader (it
should detect everything automatically).
4. Watch in amazement as the NetBSD bootloader took
care of everything without any further configuration
by you.

It's amazing what happens when you show a Linux Lilo
user the wonders of the BSD bootloader. So simple. But
I haven't tried GRUB yet so maybe I'm missing
something.

Andy