Subject: Re: How to back up from one hard disk to another... ?
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/26/2001 19:52:25
--- henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Some of my harddisks have
> 10% or more of the
> disk sequestered off because of bad sectors, others
> make funny noises.

Ugh, the reason disks start to get bad sectors is
because they are degenerating into a worthless pile of
metal, slowly (or quickly), but surely. Don't use that
stuff man! Not if it's important data!

> WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO RECURSIVELY TRANSFER WHOLE
> DIRECTORIES AND THEIR
> SUBDIRECTORIES OVER A LAN?

Well, my preferred way to do it is just with NFS. Tar
your stuff, filter it through bzip2 (or whatever
compression you like), and then send the output file
to a writable NFS mounted directory (by specifying the
full path in the filespec to your NFS mount). There's
plenty of things wrong with doing it this way
(performance comes to mind and maybe security), but as
with anything else, there's More Than One Way to Do
It. NFS is my preferred method.

Andy