Subject: RE: Problems with Amanda V2.4.2p2 on NetBSD/i386 V1.5.2 and tape changer
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2001 10:28:10
The permissions have been lowered right down to:

	ncti103# ls -l nrst0

	crw-rwxrwx  1 root  operator  14, 1 Nov 22 14:22 nrst0

As I said in my message, I was able to use tar to the device
from the same user account that I was running chg-scsi under
(amandrun on my machine). It is a member of the operator group etc.
I thought if chio, mt and tar worked from that user that would be
all chg-scsi would need. Could there be another permission issue ?

I have not tried the KTRACE thing as I don't know how to invoke it.
Is it easy ? I will try and read up on it. I did observe that if no
tape was in the drive when I tried mt rewind or mt offline that it
gave the error:

	ncti103# mt rewind

	mt: /dev/nrst0: Operation not supported by device

If no tape was present. I could have sworn in the V1.3.2 version
of NetBSD this was reported as an I/O error. I was wondering if the
chg-scsi interface could be misinterpreting this when it was trying
to eject the tape ?

P.S. When this did work before it was on an old aic0 Adaptec. After
the crash, and since I believe you wrote the siop driver to replace
old ncr one I have added that controller back into tbe box and hung
the tape changer off of it with a HP 8x cd writer in case that matters.

P.P.S. This was installed from source from the ftp.amanda.org site.
The rest of the amanda tools seem to run ok. Maybe I should install the
prebuilt package instead ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott..