Subject: Re: XTerm default font
To: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/2001 17:36:54
On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Claude Marinier wrote:

> I previously attempted to set other things (are they called resources?)
> without success. From the example you provided, I would guess that the
> name of the thing (resource) must be preceeded by the program's name. Thus
> this might work.
>
> 	XTerm.VT100.font: 9x15
> 	XTerm.scrollBar: true
> 	XTerm.rightScrollBar: false
> 	XTerm.decTerminalID: 200

Yes. It's probably more common to use "*" instead of ".". "*" is a
wildcard. It depends on what you want to happen. "XTerm*font:", with
the "*", has the side effect of setting the font on the menus, while
setting "XTerm.scrollBar:"  does nothing at all -- you really want to
set "XTerm*scrollBar:" or "XTerm.VT100.scrollBar:"

> By the way, can I use tabs instead of a single space?

Yes.

> I will restart X now and try it.

You shouldn't have to do that! If you don't want to set
"${XENVIRONMENT}", you could simply run "xrdb" again. You could also
test your settings one at a time, from the command line, like

    xterm -xrm 'XTerm*scrollBar: true'

Frederick