Subject: Re: Kernel config confusion (resolution)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@home.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/2001 10:52:57
> if there the card is not listed in the boot messages (see dmesg), then
> it's settings may not agree with your kernel settings. The GENERIC
> kernel (1.5.2) has
>
>   we0     at isa? port 0x280 iomem 0xd0000 irq 9  # WD/SMC Ethernet
>   we1     at isa? port 0x300 iomem 0xcc000 irq 10
>
> which I think is the device for the SMC 8003 family.
>
> If this is the case, then you can either change the card settings to
> match the kernel config, or visa-versa(?)

Well, this turned out to be the case.  In addition, the EtherEZ has a mode
that doesn't use a shared memory buffer to communicate.  I modified my card
settings to use the memory mapped settings, the proper IRQ and turned OFF
PnP and the system recognized my card.  Incidentally the setup program I had
(EZStart) only showed the first four digits of the memory buffer address,
but I set it up for 0xCC00 and it worked just fine.