Subject: Re: building userland
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2001 12:33:35
At 2:05 PM +0100 11/20/01, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:46:52PM +0000, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
>>  aha... this explains a lot. i hadnt realised that the sparc and
>>sparc64 source
>>  was interdependent.
>>
>>  > Well, make build tries to build everything. The only things you can
>>  > forget are games, regress and the ksrc for arches you don't need
>>  > (sparc/sparc64 being an exeption, they need each other).
>>
>>  regress?
>>
>>  ok.. i want to give it a go... if i leave the build running is there an easy
>>  way of timing it?
>
>It depends on your machine (CPU & RAM mostly).
>On my sparc IPX (v7@40Mhz, 16M RAM) it's less than 3 days.

Actually, I think he's asking not for a pre-estimate, but rather if
there's a way that he can tell how long it took after he does it.

There's a few ways to do this, depending on your shell. Some shells
have a built-in timer function. There is also a system command
"time", which can prepend other commands, much like "nice" can. So
you can type "time make build". If you're using one of the shells
with a built-in time function, you can even set it up so that any
command that takes longer than "x" seconds automagically prints out
how long it took after it completes...but note that the default
format of the shell-time is different than the /usr/bin/time.

Another way that you can do it is to use cron to perform the make
build. The first line printed after typing "make build" is "build
started at xxx date/time" or similar. Cron jobs are e-mailed to the
owner after completion. So you can see that it started at, say 9am
and the date on the email showed that cron sent it at 8pm, giving you
an 11 hour compile time.

Hope this helps,
Mike
--