Subject: How to keep netbsd upgrading from deleting /home?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sncho@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2001 22:28:13
Hi,

How do I keep netbsd upgrade from deleting my home
directory?  These are my partitions:

primary partition 1: windows
primary partition 2: netbsd

and within netbsd partition, I have:

/
/swap
/var
/usr
/home

Now the problem is, everytime I reinstall netbsd, I'm
forced to repartition those under netbsd; therefore
losing everything in /home.  Anyway I can preserve
/home during netbsd install?

I've also tried this:  I've created 3 primary
partitions:

primary partition 1: windows
primary partition 2: netbsd
primary partition 3: netbsd  <-- to be used as /home

My purpose was to use partition 3 as /home and
partition 2 for rest.  However in this case, netbsd
install would only let me install netbsd in partition
3, forcing me to create /, /swap, var...everything in
this portion of disk.

Also, how do I mount the windows partition in netbsd?
I've looked at the /dev but there seems to be no
device for primary partition 1 which is windows.  All
I see is wd0c, wd0d,.. etc but these are only
partitions within netbsd disk sections.  I only have 1
hard disk.  Thank you.