Subject: Re: Newbie networking questions
To: David Melton <dmelton@banzuke.com>
From: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2001 18:57:27
On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 04:54:21PM -0800, David Melton wrote:
> I've done the "sshd=YES" thing in rc.conf, and sshd is running. However, I
> still can't ssh into the machine from my RedHat or Win2000 systems.  I took
> a look at "man sshd" and didn't see anything that was essential to change
> from the defaults, so I haven't created an sshd.conf.  Any ideas what I've
> messed up?

If you don't have an sshd.conf on your system, I can send you one. Do you
have any errors in /var/log/messages or anything?

> What's the right way to start ftpd?  I don't see a script for ftpd in
> /etc/rc.d.  Is there some other way this is supposed to be done?
ftpd is probably incommented in /etc/inetd.conf - it should be by
default anyhow. Uncomment it and then give inetd a HUP

> There may be some cases where I won't be able to use ssh to get to this
> machine.  Just how unsafe is telnetd on NetBSD?
As unsecure as any other protocol in which you pass plaintext passwords
such as ftpd.

> Finally, are there any good NetBSD documentation resources that aren't
> linked from netbsd.org?  I've been searching around but haven't found any
> massively helpful HOWTO resources elsewhere on the web.  I'd love to have
> people send me links that will answer my other questions and slap me around
> to RTFM.  I'll gladly try to solve my own problems given the information.
You should not only look at the documentation but also search the
many mailing lists, you will probably find most of your answers that
way.

> Thanks again for your help!
I don't know if I have been.

Regards