Subject: Re: Compiling NetBSD-current kernel on i386
To: phaet0n _ <phaet0n@hotmail.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/2001 18:22:04
"phaet0n _" <phaet0n@hotmail.com> writes:
> I installed NetBSD 1.5 for i386 about a month ago or so. I am trying
> to update my kernel to NetBSD-current, so I downloaded sys.tar.gz in
> order to build it.

That won't work. Among other things, you need the whole toolchain to
build kernels, and you might need parts of userland in addition. With
a new kernel you are certainly going to need a whole new userland,
you'll have to prepare to build all that as well.

You should get a complete set of -current sources and read the
UPDATING file in /usr/src -- it will explain what is involved (which
is pretty elaborate...)

> I downloaded gnu.tar.gz, however I don't have diskspace to build it

Then you should probably get a binary snapshot of -current -- you
aren't going to be able to upgrade without building everything, for
practical purposes.

BTW, a gig or two of disk is really really cheap these days -- you can
get disks that size on ebay for nearly nothing. I'd recommend getting
the bigger disk if you're serious about playing with building stuff.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com