Subject: Re: current problems - please read and answer any if you can.
To: None <jons@dotnet.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2001 16:38:16
Let me see here... I'm by no means an expert on mail
server stuff, but I see a few things that a neophyte
like me has already seen...

--- Jon <jons@dotnet.com> wrote:
> Note : - for some reason I can't subscribe so I will
> check the archives tomorrow, of email me direct.
>
> first my setup
> Netbsd 1.5.2, i386
>
> I have a friend who wrote some scripts for me for
> qmail, but they don't want to execute.  They have
> the same permissions and group/owner as every other
> script in
> the usr/sbin directory and still when I run them I
> get : No such file or directory (I have tried ./???)

Did you read the scripts to see if they actually
reference things that exist? Did the scripts come from
NetBSD?

> I need to know how to look at the syslog, qmail uses
> a test to see if you can recieve a mail, it shows
> the info in syslog but I don't know how to look at
> this log!

I think you're referring to /var/log/messages?

> 2) I have a mail error which is driving me nuts
>
> I used to get a whole heap load of messages which
> were useless about editing stuff etc.  The file root
> in /var/mail was getting huge, so I deleted it and
> touched a
> new one.
>
> Now I get 2 errors every 5 minutes which read :
>
> {machine name} sendmail[392]: fa6Ht0U00392:
> SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file
> /etc/mail/aliases.db: World writable directory.
>
> I have checked the permissions on all the files and
> directories and everything is correct.

I had this happen once on a boneheaded wildcard and
chown mishap. You probably didn't correct all the
permissions. Go from the top of the tree all the way
down. I think you'll find that there is a permission
that is wrong. Don't forget to restart sendmail (or
whatever you are using) as well... I believe more info
for this can be found in the sendmail man page.

> 3) NFS server error, if anyone has ever set up an
> nfs server on a netbsd box, please send me an
> example of all the files and steps I need to do to
> get it working. I
> followed the netbsd one and it don't work
>
> All I wish to do is set up an nfs server to share
> the tmp directory of my netbsd box.

I just put something like this in my /etc/exports
file:

/tmp           speedy    #Speedy is the machine I'm
#allowing to mount /tmp (and it exists in /etc/hosts
of #course).

Don't forget to restart mountd with
kill -1 <pid of mountd>

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask questions, as
long as you've read the doc carefully and searched the
archives first of course! (Although I'm guilty of
jumping the gun once in a while...)

Andy