Subject: Re: Keyboard suitable for NetBSD
To: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/2001 07:32:19
On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 09:56:43AM -0800, beaker wrote:

> > the keyboard in question is an old (my original) IBM PC/XT keyboard,
> > the one with the ten function keys down teh left-hand-side. i'm not

> I think the question is "will NetBSD/i386 support an IBM PC/XT keyboard and
> allow the function keys F1-F10 to be mapped."

yes, that is teh question. i have trouble keeping thoughs in order at
times (i live with sever arthritis and teh medicine makes thinking a
bit difficult at times).

>                                               As a newbie I don't have the
> definitive answer but I suspect its easy enough to find out: just do a quick
> install and see if the main keys work.

if thier were enough room on teh 350 mb esdi drive thats how i would
have 'answered' teh question. as it s i only have enough room for one
operating system at a time and the keyboard works with the current
ms-dos stuff very well.

>                                        If they do there's a very good chance
> the rest of the keys can be mapped. I imagine its way more difficult to
> create key maps for some of those Windows-centric internet keyboards that
> come on Compaqs and the like.

actually i didn't think that maping teh keys would be a problem if
netbsd could 'see' teh keyboard. back in teh 'old days' motherboard
had keyboard controller circuits designed to run as either IBM PC/XT or
IBM PC/AT keyboards. somewhere along teh line the clone makers started
making keyboards with a swithch that changed teh personality of teh
keyboard (PC/AT - PC/XT - autoselect).

then, came teh motherboards that 'senced' the attached keyboard and
adapted itself accordingly. IBM OS/2 has diferent keyboard 'maps' that
will make use of teh detected device.

is it possible to fit a standard netbsd installation on a 100 mb (it
might be a 250 mb) scsi hard drive.

with regards and much appreciations

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels		      http://rebuild.soon.may.be
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445	  suffering construction anxiety