Subject: Re: How do I connect to my ISP via PPP?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/2001 08:55:05
>Should I keep or drop the "modem" and
>"crtscts" in the PPP config file?

I'd leave them in but try increasing the time allotted for the handshake via
the 'chat -t <timeout>' option. To get my system working I basically
followed the pppd conventions laid out in Lupi's NetBSD User Manual but
substituted "AT&F1" for "ATZ" in the chat script - something I had used in
the past with this modem but forgotten about. The "&F1" forces a fixed
serial port rate. The USR web site has some info on this - here's an exerpt:

Q. What are the ideal settings for my Internet dialer?

A. In the software ensure the Initialization String is AT&F1, Flow Control
is set to RTS/CTS or Hardware, and the Port Rate or Speed is 38400, 57600,
or 115200.
 **Note that these settings are for Hardware Flow control. Some Internet
dialers may require Software flow control. For software flow control use an
initialization string of AT&F2 and set to   software flow control or
Xon/Xoff

Basically you use the AT command entries in the chat script to override the
default settings in your modem. You can view those default settings via
"uc -p modem" (see Lupi's user manual) and sending the AT command "ATI5".
"AT?" will return a help screen listing all the AT commands applicable to
your modem.

~beaker