Subject: Re: How do I connect to my ISP via PPP?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/2001 09:51:28
from "beaker" <beaker1119@yahoo.com>:

>Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my plea.  I finally got the
>thing working. Amongst other things, I needed to add some additional AT
>commands to the chat file and put the CORRECT user name in pap-secrets (my
>ISP uses an unconventional username format - its allways the little
>things....). I was curious if anyone knows of an automated PPP manager
>similar to eznet or wvdialer on Linux. As far as I know, nether of these are
>ported to NetBSD.
>~beaker

Maybe you could let us know some of those additional AT commands?  I will be
trying to set up PPP for Linux and NetBSD using a PCI hardware modem
(U.S. Robotics 2976 OEM).  So far, under DR-DOS 7.03, I was able to find the
modem using a Ralf Brown PCI program that runs in DOS (base 0xd400, IRQ 11), was
able to dial up and hear the sounds, and make an initial connection, but
apparently the handshaking failed, and the connection failed.  I used the same
script, except for base and IRQ, and a somewhat different init string, compared
to the configuration I use successfully with a Diamond SupraExpress 56i ISA
modem jumpered to base 0x2e8 IRQ 5.  Should I keep or drop the "modem" and
"crtscts" in the PPP config file?

When I installed Debian Linux, it couldn't find the modem at all, so setting up
PPP failed.  That was before running the Ralf Brown PCI program from DOS, and I
didn't know to try "cat /proc/pci", though I don't know if that would have
helped, or if it would work in (Free, Net or Open)BSD.