Subject: Re: How do I connect to my ISP via PPP?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/30/2001 20:11:44
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:48:39AM -0800, beaker wrote:
> Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my plea.  I finally got the
> thing working.

> I was curious if anyone knows of an automated PPP manager
> similar to eznet or wvdialer on Linux. As far as I know, nether of these are
> ported to NetBSD.

Hi Beaker,

Glad to hear you're on line.

What do you like about wvdial?  Set up or everyday use?  I ask
because I used wvdial briefly without being impressed.

I like NetBSD's pppd operation, myself; I find in inobtrusive and
reliable.

I *do* think it should be possible to do what every Windows box has
done for 5 years: put in the user, phone, and DNS information and
have it Just Work for a basic client.  It shouldn't take a minor
degree in telecommunications, which is basically the situation now,
IMHO.

It seems like with a few heuristics it's a small matter of
programming.  One of these days....

Regards,

--jkl