Subject: Re: How Does .ORDER Work in Makefiles?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2001 21:02:00
In article <200110282257.f9SMvLUE028374@suxrox.blasted-heath.com>,
Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com> wrote:

>So, I guess I'm missing something.  How is .ORDER supposed to be used?

Ok, you've been bitten by something that I meant to document a long
time ago, and never did [sorry]. The story is that pmake^Wbmake
has two make engines:  one the backwards compatible one [I can
explain how the backwards compatible engine is different than the
pmake engine, but it is not relevant], and the parallelizable one.
Some of the newer directives that are relevant only to parallel
make, are only implemented for the parallel engine [.WAIT, .ORDER
etc.]. So one asks how do I invoke the famous parallel engine?
Every time you use -j, it is invoked for you.

So:

    make -j 1

should print:

    : 3
    : 2
    : 1

Maybe this will inspire a poor soul to document which options are
relevant only to the parallel engine...

christos