Subject: Re: UDP Lite?
To: Ali Khayam <ali_khayam@yahoo.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2001 00:25:10
Ali Khayam <ali_khayam@yahoo.com> writes:
> > If one insists, though, it is trivial to include a UDP header
> > checksum in the data portion if you want. It will be static so you
> > only have to compute it once. You can just shove it in the first
> > couple of bytes of the data portion of the packet and the receiver
> > could check that it showed up. Big Deal.
>
> The "Big Deal" here is the incorporation of
> prioritized traffic e.g. for MPEG transmission you
> would like to perform a complete checksum on the
> I-frames while checksumming only the header of the P-
> and B-frames. Such capability can not achieved with
> the static checksumming technique that you mentioned.

Of course it can. It is totally trivial. None of this need be done in
the kernel, or at the UDP layer.

> > I'm very active in the IETF's transport area. I
> > hadn't heard of this
>
> I know that this protocol was once an Internet Draft
> of IETF (The UDP Lite Protocol
> <draft-larzon-udplite-01.txt> ). Maybe you will be
> kind enough to check its current status for me.

Anyone can submit a draft. ANYONE. The naming scheme shows, however,
that the document in question was an individual submission, not a
working group document.

> I can not see how this functionality can be achieved
> without over-burdening the application layer
> protocols.

Well, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Perry