Subject: How do I connect to my ISP via PPP?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2001 21:43:52
Greetings All,
I'm having trouble setting up my box to dialup my ISP via PPP. I've read the
Basic Networking docs at netbsd.org and more or less followed the
instructions.

Here are the specifics of my modem & ISP:

ISP:
chat authentication
hardware flow control ok
data compression ok
dynamically assigned IP addresses
dialups at 56k, 33.6 & 28.8 supported

Modem: (USR external Sportster 28.8  - v.34/v.32 bis)
dip settings: Linux=3,5,8 down ; Unix=3,7,8 down (this setting causes "AA"
to stay lit)
ATZ = initialization via "modem station" program
AT&F1 =   "       for fixed serial port rate
AT&F2 =   "       for software flow control
modem is on COM2 (=ttys1 ???)

Currently I've just got the base system installed and have constructed the
following pppd=related files:

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp
    /dev/ttys1
    noipdefault
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat'
    persist
    ipparam myisp
    asyncmap 0
    noauth

/etc/ppp/peers/options.ttys1
    lock
    crtscts
    38400
    modem

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat
    ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ""
    \da\ptz0 OK
    \da\ptdt7708071 CONNECT
    ogin: <my account name>
    asswd: <my password>

When I type "pppd call myisp" I get

chat[338]: Failed
pppd[336]: Connect script failed

I'm sure I'm missing some things like DNS addresses and debugging but I
assumed anything else would have been mentioned in the Networking Basics
HowTo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~beaker
Medford, OR