Subject: Re: UDP Lite?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Ali Khayam <ali_khayam@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2001 21:37:26
> Of course it can. It is totally trivial. None of
> this need be done in
> the kernel, or at the UDP layer.

which means over-burdening the application layer.

> > > I'm very active in the IETF's transport area. I
> > > hadn't heard of this
> >
> > I know that this protocol was once an Internet
> Draft
> > of IETF (The UDP Lite Protocol
> > <draft-larzon-udplite-01.txt> ). Maybe you will be
> > kind enough to check its current status for me.
>
> Anyone can submit a draft. ANYONE. The naming scheme
> shows, however,
> that the document in question was an individual
> submission, not a
> working group document.

you are absolutely right. I just wanted to find out if
there was a follow up on this.

> > I can not see how this functionality can be
> achieved
> > without over-burdening the application layer
> > protocols.
>
> Well, it seems pretty obvious to me.

I must be missing something here because not doing
something at the kernel (as you suggested previously)
means doing it at the application layer which is
already doing coding, packetization etc. The
over-burdening application layer thing carries here.

Anyway, thanks for your kind opinion. It sure was an
interesting discussion.

  -- Ali