Subject: Re: Help getting netatalk working
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/2001 19:30:17
>The system is NetBSD/alpha 1.5.2 using either de or tlp ethernet drivers to
>drive a DEC 21143-based adapter.

OK, I use an AS200 for NetAtalk, so I know that it works :-)

>Enter stumbling block #2... :-(   The client is able to "mount" the Appletalk
>volumes that I specify, and read/write files with ease.  However, creation
>of a directory yields a "you don't have sufficient access priviledges"
>error on the client and a "afpd[xx]: setdirmode: chmod .AppleDouble:
>Operation not permitted" error in the log on the server.  Files within a
>folder are not copied unless copied after the folder has been created in
>the volume.
>
>I did a Net search and low-and-behold, this problem is shared by dozens
>(hundreds?) of netatalk users since about 1998 with no solution that I
>could find.  I am using a "guest" account of "macuser", with a group of
>"macuser" that contains the "macuser" user.  All files in the share are
>owner macuser.macuser, and afpd is running with "-g macuser".  The same
>problem happens when I log in as a registered user, or regardless of which
>user/group settings I try for the guest account.

OK, you told us the permissions on the *files* but what permissions
are on the directory that you're in? That's what would determine what
you can do within the directory. My guess would be that it's your
umask not giving you the perms you require when you're copying
folders recursively. As a test, mount the volume, & then copy over an
empty folder. Then, in a shell, check the perms on that new
directory. If you don't have enough perms to populate it, then that's
your problem.

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.