Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5.2: DVD-ROM Read Error
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Gerber <daniel.gerber@mw.iap.unibe.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/17/2001 10:07:37
On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 07:43:29PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Once it has downgraded to PIO mode 4, does it work or not ?
> Also, what IDE controller do you have ?

First I thought that no because I got several of these 'downgrading' messages
in the pkgsrc untar I was running for a test. But then I did several more
testruns and the other jobs then worked fine. I use pciide0 btw...

> NetBSD doesn't use the BIOS, but what the hardware should be able to do.
> You need to compile a kernel with flags on cd* to force a PIO/DMA mode.
> See the wd and cd man pages for details.

I did this and it works. Thanks a lot for the hint at 'man 4 wd', I wasn't
aware of this option! =)

> Well, I have one which is:
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 1: Intel 82801AA IDE Controller (ICH) (rev. 0x02
> )
> pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
> pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
> atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1: 2 targets
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <_NEC DV-5700B, , 1.91> type 5 cdrom removable
> cd0: 32-bit data port
> cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33)

Mine looks basically the same, save that I don't have an INTEL IDE controller.
I'm running an AMD/ASUS combo (forgot to take my dmesg floppy with me ;)
Too bad I don't seem to be able to run this with DMA. On Win (Yes, I'm ashamed,
but it's for gaming purpose only :P) it uses DMA, but then again I don't really
know - it's just a checkbox which says so...

Well, I just tackle X now and see if it's fast enough for playing movies =)

Thanks again for your help!
--
DANIEL¯¯Atmos.Phys.Group/Univ.ofBerne/CH mailto:gerber@mw.iap.unibe.ch
GERBER  Encrypted Mail Welcome. Get PGP-Key at http://silvara.unibe.ch