Subject: Re: MTA Problems
To: Isaac Hillier <isaac@vinewsgroup.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2001 13:44:23
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Isaac Hillier wrote:

> Are things like this normally stored in a file that follows this format:
> 127.0.0.1   RELAY
> (Called access(.db) in my case (Sendmail Version 8.9.3+3.2W).)

That file isn't used to tell sendmail that the address should be
considered local; it is used to allow or refuse relaying.  (Local domains
are listed with class W, such as /etc/mail/local-host-names.)

> That it's using local as the relay, rather than domain2.com's MX.

It would be a good idea to use "real" domain names instead of hiding
behind example names, so we can see/find the problems for ourselves.

Try using sendmail's debugging:

 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail -bv -d9 user@domain2.com

And:

 echo test | /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail -d8 -d10 -d11 -d13.10 \
  -d13.29 -d15 -d16 -d18 -d42.2 -d99.100 -v

(Note that the -d numbers are quite confusing and poorly documented.)

> Since it doesn't look like anyone has told sendmail to handle domain2.com's
> mail, I'll take a shot in the dark. Is it possible that this might be the
> result of a poorly configured nameserver? I'm on shaky ground here

No. Even if the nameserver said that your server is responsible for it,
then your MTA would still need to be configured to know the domain is
local -- either listed manually or using some directive like
"bestmx_is_local".

> knowledge-wise, but I've checked the internal and external records for
> domain2, and the numbers are fine, host resolves the MX for domain2 fine
> from domain1. I've got a vague feeling that it might be appending something
> to an unqualified (not ending in a . ?) domain.

Show us or give us the real hostname so we check ourselves.

> Out of curiosity... what are the "CP." and "CPREDIRECT" ?variables? in
> sendmail.cf? Looks like I'll be needing an Sendmail book.

I am not sure about CP. I believe CPREDIRECT is used for sending a 551
message that indicates the new address to try.

Since you are learning about sendmail, you may want to consider learning
about exim and postfix. Both are a lot easier to understand and configure.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/