Subject: IBM 60GXP hard drive problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2001 08:52:44
Hello all. I hope this hasn't been asked before, but
I've done some searching and I'm not finding the
answer.

I run NetBSD/i386 1.5.2 on an ECS K7VZA motherboard
(1ghz athlon, 512 meg memory) and I've been having
some hard disk trouble. There was a bios update that
included some fixes that looked related but they
didn't solve the problem.

I had a Maxtor 40 gig ATA66 drive in there, and I
ended up losing about a gig of data somehow. I didn't
write down the errors it was having, but it included
something like this:

wd0: XXX XXX XXX soft error (corrected)

I suspected a bad drive and was recommended to try
this new 60 gig IBM 60GXP drive. Now I'm getting
errors which look worse:

wd0: transfer error, downgrading to DMA mode 2
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using
DMA data transfers)
cd0(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
(using DMA data transfers)
wd0f: uncorrectable data error reading fsbn 113008 of
113008-113017 (wd0 bn 4463536; cn 4428 tn 1 sn 49),
retrying
wd0: transfer error, downgrading to PIO mode 4
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4

The fsbn 113008 of 113008-113017 part is repeated
every time.

I believe that this means I have some bad areas on the
hard disk, but am I having some drive controller
issues as well? I've turned off all possible high
performance type IDE options in the bios, but I still
get the error. I even turned off UDMA.

I have no similar problems with my scsi disks attached
via Adaptec 2940uw.

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Andy