Subject: Re: modemd and pppd dialup server
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2001 15:19:18
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> How is it that the IP to the modem and the IP to the
> Ethernet card, being the same, and the destination
> machine being the same, that there will be no conflict,
> confusion, or other problems?

It's a special case, known as an "unnumbered link". The "ppp"
interface effectively gets the IP address of the remote machine.
There's no ambiguity because it's a point-to-point link, so every
packet destined for the remote goes through that interface, and every
packet routed through that interface ends up at the remote.

> I had read that a PPP server with separate modems on
> separate tty's must have separate IP addrs. I had
> presumed (erroneously?) that this condition extended to
> Ethernet addresses also.

The remotes, at least, have to have separate IP addresses. I don't see
any reason why you couldn't have multiple unnumbered links.

Frederick